The history of Tullibardine as a location for brewing and distilling is one of the oldest in Scotland. Located in Blackford, the gateway to the Highlands, it was here in 1488 that the young King James 4th of Scotland stopped by on his way to his coronation, to purchase beer from the local brewery. This is recorded as the first public purchase of beer. In 1503 the brewery received the first Royal Charter issued by James IV, in recognition of the fine beer produced at Tullibardine. In 1947 William Delme Evans began converting the original brewery buildings that remained into a distillery, and in 1949 the first spirit was distilled at the newly named Tullibardine Distillery. The name in Gaelic means ‘lookout hill’, and was taken from the small medieval chapel built in 1446, which is close to the distillery.
Having been matured in first fill Bourbon barrels, Tullibardine Sovereign Single Malt Scotch Whisky is a lovely, balanced whisky. It exhibits barley, pear drops and creamy chocolate notes, which develop on the palate with a lingering finish.
NOSE: Pears, sugar plums, golden honey, orange blossom, and jasmine.
PALATE: Creamy, honey-baked pears and orange pith mingle with a wisp of smoke and delicate spice.
FINISH: Baked barley and honey.