Chateau Depaz Estate is nestled in the charming coastline city of St. Pierre on the French Caribbean island of Martinique, and was established in 1651 by Martinique’s first governor, Jacques Duparquet. Depaz Rhum is an agricole rhum (agricultural rum), which refers to its seasonal production from each year’s crop of blue cane, rather than a year-round production from sugar byproducts such as molasses. Depaz is privileged to have received an Appellation d’Origine Controlee (AOC) designation, available only to Martinique rhum agricole, which ensures its strict adherence to precise standards of production.
The storied production of rum Agricole represents only 3% of world’s rum. Rum brands using less expensive sugar derivatives in their production process, such as molasses, often have few if any time constrains to deal with. Such brands represent the remaining 97% of the world’s rum, which is classified as industrial rum.
Depaz Blue Cane Amber Agricole Caribbean Rhum is estate produced in limited quantities and proudly holds the enviable French AOC (Appellation d’Origine Controlee) designation, confirming its strict adherence to precise standards of excellence. The Depaz Estate history can be tracked back to 1651 when it was established by the premier governor Jacques Duparquet.
Depaz’s signature ingredient is estate-produced blue cane. Considered the costliest and most difficult cane to grow, Depaz Estate blue cane delivers the ideal balance of sugars for maximum flavor and character.
Ultimate Beverage Challenge – 92 points.
NOSE: Enchantingly grassy and earthy.
PALATE: Marzipan, oak resin, dark caramel and honey.
FINISH: Long, bittersweet, spice, smoke, vanilla.