The house of Comoz was established in 1856 by Jean-Pierre Comoz, becoming the second vermouthier of Chambéry after Dolin (where Jean-Pierre had been previously employed). In 1881, under the leadership of the son Claudius Comoz, the house changed its production process of pale vermouth and introduced the type ‘Vermouth Blanc.’ By the 1930s, when the Tribunal de Chambéry applied for an appellation for its vermouth, Noël Comoz (the grandson) had risen to the president of the Union of Vermouthiers. The house declined along with the vermouth category in the late 20th century, closing its own operations in 1981. Production continued under contract for almost 20 years until disappearing completely by the year 2000. Today, the original recipe is produced by Dolin et Cie.
Established in 1856, Comoz was the second-oldest of Chambery vermouth producers after Dolin, and was perhaps the first to produce a crystal-clear vermouth “Blanc”. Introduced in 1881, C Comoz Vermouth de Chambery Blanc expressed Claudius Comoz’s selection of wines, plants, and fruits, many of which come from the hills above Chambery. True to its historic character, Comoz Blanc is less sweet than other vermouth blanc, with notes of stone fruits, alpine flowers and a deep, resonant undercurrent of wormwood. Drink on the rocks with a twist, or mix with gin, vodka, or blanco tequila.